Mission of the Decorah Human Rights Commission
To increase community awareness and appreciation of human diversity through educational programs and to investigate alleged claims of discriminatory practices and provide appropriate remedies where discrimination has been found to exist.
The Commission was formed pursuant to a Civil Rights ordinance (City Code Section 2.50) passed in Decorah in 2005. The 7 member Commission formed in 2006 investigates complaints in the areas of education, housing, public accommodations, employment and credit.
The Commission also advocates for diversity education and awareness in the community.
- State of Iowa code section 729 - Individual Rights
- State of Iowa code section 729A - Hate Crimes
- State of Iowa code section 216 - Civil Rights Commission
- Decorah City code section 2.50 - Human Rights Commission
Currently the commission is working on the following events.
- August 2016: Water quality and water treatment conditions in the community.
- September 2016: Implicit Bias Discussions and Open Forums
Be sure to check back regularly for updates and information.