The City of Decorah Water Department is Responsible for maintenance and operations of 6 City wells, as well as the water main pipes. Our main goal is to assure the people of the City of Decorah that they are drinking high quality water and that the supply is always adequate for drinking, as well as fire protection. The Water Dept. is located at the West end of Water Street at 800 W. Water. The hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, with personnel checking on wells, testing water, and doing rounds on Saturdays, Sundays and all Holidays.
Frequently Asked Questions
Select a frequently asked question below to expand and display the answer:
- To terminate service at the owner’s request when a property is sold.
- To cut service for internal plumbing repairs.
- At a rental property to discontinue water service when the tenant is moving.
- When a customer fails to make a payment.
- Repairs are required when the stop box is too high or too low. The top of the stop box should be level with the ground.
- If the stop box is located under concrete or asphalt, a repair must be made so that the stop box is accessible.
- If the housing for the stop box becomes bent and the key can not be lowered into the housing.
Please notify DWD if you notice any indication of a water leak, such as noise in the pipes or lower water pressure. Our representative will assist in determining the location of the leak. Sometimes it is difficult to determine the leaking water as it follows the path of least resistance and does not always come to the surface right near the leak. Once located, the property owner will be notified to contact a plumber to make repairs to the leaking service line.
The water meter is usually located in the basement or pit area. The property owner is responsible for protecting the meter from freezing temperatures and providing access to the meter and meter reading equipment.
- Different water pressure
- Basement drain back up
- Sewer gas smell
- Drain not working properly
- Uncommon noises from water pipes
The DWD uses outside remotes water plates to help with the reading of the water meters. The outside plates are read by a DWD representative once every three months.
Water testing results are available at the Decorah Water Department located at 800 West Water Street, or at City Hall on Claiborne Drive by the Fire Department.