The Decorah Historic Preservation Commission’s annual Historic Preservation Award identifies individuals or organizations who have made a significant contribution to the identification, study, or preservation of Decorah’s historic built environment.
To Kevin Lee for his wide-ranging historic preservation work, including masonry and cemetery preservation.
To the Porter House Museum for its ongoing historically-appropriate restoration and maintenance of the Porter House at 401 West Broadway.
To Rachelle and Mark Branum for their thoughtful, multi-year restoration of the 1875 historic brick and limestone building at 207 Washington Street.
Decorah Public Opinion, Monday, May 2, 2022
To the Winneshiek County Historical Society for its thoroughly-researched, historically-sensitive restoration of the 1860 Landers-Adams-Bodensteiner house.
To City Engineer Jeremy Bril for his enthusiastic, consultative work on such local historic preservation projects as the Court Street brick paving, the Locust Road Cave, the Commercial District National Register signage, and map preparation for several city preservation projects.
To Stan Fullerton for his sensitive rehabilitation of the former J.C.Penny’s building at 101 W. Water St. in downtown Decorah, and to David Wadsworth for the full-scale rehabilitation of a historic home at 409 E. Main Street.
Steve and Alice Runde for their commitment to the careful and historically appropriate restoration of the Poultry House and Carriage House on the Weiser Mansion property at 608 W. Broadway.
St. Benedict Parish for their decision to continue to use their architecturally important church building in Decorah's historic and civic center; for their preservation of the historic building itself; and for their sensitive development of the church's addition, which defers to the original building while replicating some of its key features.
Five homes designed by local architect Charles Altfillisch between 1920-1960 were recipients of the 2018 award.
Norb Bohr, Pete Meyer, and the Decorah Street Department for their ongoing maintenance of the brick paving on Court St., now a contributing object to the National Register of Historic Places Decorah Commercial Historic District.
Hacker, Nelson & Co. accounting firm for the sensitivity and community spirit represented in the rehabilitation of their building at 123 West Water Street, particularly in their restoring of the elaborate stonework that graces their building’s corner turret.
Elizabeth Lorentzen and Ed Epperly for their research, fund-raising, organization, and commitment that led to the thirty signs included on the Decorah “Walk Into the Past".
David Wadsworth for historic window restoration and for public speaking in Iowa and surrounding states about the process.
Mike and Dominique Bockman for their sensitive rehabilitation of the T-Bock’s building at 206 W. Water Street, including refurbishing the original wooden double-hung windows.
Helen Basler for her leadership and generosity in impressively restoring the Hotel Winneshiek at 104 E. Water Street and her personal residence at 309 Upper Broadway.
Deborah Bishop for her work with Oneota Historic Futures Alliance and the Winneshiek County Home Caretaker’s House.
Kevin, Leslie, Daniel, and Carole Sand for their significant contribution to historic preservation through their work on the rehabilitation of the Hoeg House on Center Avenue.