When a resident of Decorah goes on vacation, the Police Department can offer extra patrol to check on your property. The Vacation Watch Program should give you some peace of mind while you’re away.
Please submit your request at least a week prior to your absence.
Here’s how it works:
When your home is listed with the Decorah Police Department for a vacation watch, Officers periodically stop and check on your home. Officers may walk around your home to see if there is anything unusual or if there is any apparent damage. If any sign of forced entry or unexpected change occurs you or your emergency contacts will also be contacted. This is a service to residents inside the Decorah City limits.
Although this is not a guarantee that your home will not be damaged or burglarized, it gives you some added protection. We encourage you to make arrangements with family members, friends or neighbors to also check on your home.
We strongly suggest that you stop all mail and newspaper delivery prior to your departure and that you leave a key with a personal contact or trusted neighbor.
Disclaimer – Notifying the police department that you are leaving your home and the details of your absence will allow Officers to make extra patrols through your neighborhood. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that your home will not be burglarized or vandalized while you are gone.
** NOTE: The Vacation Watch program is not intended for empty homes for vacant homes, summer homes, houses for sale or hospital (indefinite) stays.
Along with notifying us of your absence, here are a few other safety measures you will want to follow.
- Notify a friend, relative or trusted neighbor that you’ll be away and leave emergency phone numbers with them in case they need to reach you.
- Be sure all of your doors, windows and gates are locked when you leave.
- Manually lock your garage door from the inside and disengage your electronic device, this eliminates the possibility of thieves entering with garage door decoders.
- Be sure to stop your mail and your newspaper deliveries or have a friend, relative or trusted neighbor bring it in for you daily.
- Put a couple of indoor lights and your radio on a light timer – this gives the illusion someone is home.
- Arrange for someone to take care of your lawn while you’re away.
- Have a Safe and Wonderful Trip.