Curbside Leaf Collection Program
Each fall, the City of Decorah offers free curbside leaf collection. During dates established by the City's Street Department, residents are allowed to push leaves into City streets (along the curbside). Residents may also drop off leaves at the Street Department Shop or at the City's Yard Waste Site.
Curbside Leaf Collection has ended for 2020. The program will resume in the fall of 2021!
Here are a few tips that should make the process go smoothly and efficiently for the crews:
- 24/7 leaf drop off at 108 Railroad Avenue available October 1 to November 15 (Street Department Shop).
- Extended hours at the City's Yard Waste Site on Trout Run Road (currently open 7 days a week during daylight hours).
- Scheduled pickup of leaves deposited along the curbside of City streets starting on October 15, 2020.
Preparing Your Leaves
- Rake leaves in a pile on the street along the curb area in front of your house.
- Rake only leaves into piles. The City cannot pick up other types of yard waste such as sticks, brush, and garden refuse
- Rake leaves into windrow piles. It slows the crews down to have to look for and handle multiple small leaf piles.
- Parked cars hamper leaf pickup, please be considerate when parking on the street and avoid parking near leaf piles.
Some Final Reminders
- Despite all advanced preparation, adherence to these schedules depends on weather and equipment functioning properly. Equipment breakdowns and heavy rains can slow progress, and snowstorms late in the cycle can curtail the program.