Leaf Removal Program
October 14– November 22
The City of Decorah will again be offering leaf pickup service in your neighborhood. Here are a few tips that should make the process go smoothly and efficiently for the crews:
- 24/7 Leaf drop off at 108 Railroad Ave available until November 15 (Street Dept).
- Extended hours at city compost site. (8-3 weekdays, 8-7 wed, 8-noon sat).
- Scheduled Pickup of leaves in the streets.
- Leaf crews will pass through on assigned pickup days. Have your leaves raked into the curb by the first days listed to ensure they are picked up.
- Sometimes if the workload is light in their assigned pickup territory, you might see crews passing through your neighborhood looking for leaf piles. These are “extra” trips and do not cancel your regular pickup days. The crews will return to your neighborhood in your assigned pickup days.
Preparing Your Leaves
- Rake leaves in a pile on the street along the curb area in front of your house.
- Rake only leaves into piles. The vacuum cannot pick up other types of yard waste such as sticks, brush and garden refuse
- Rake leaves into windrow piles. It slows the crews down to have to look for and handle multiple small leaf piles.
- Parked cars hamper leaf pickup, please be considerate when parking on the street and avoid parking near leaf piles on schedule pickup days.
Some Final Reminders
- Despite all advanced preparation, adherence to these schedules depends on weather and equipment functioning properly. Equipment breakdowns and heavy rains can slow progress, and snowstorms late in the cycle can curtail the program.