Hours of Operation
Starting on Wednesday, June 22nd, the City of Decorah Yard Waste Site will have set open hours. The Yard Waste Site will be open on:
- Wednesdays: 12:00 Noon to 6:00 PM
- Saturdays: 7:00 AM to 11:00 AM
A key will no longer need to be checked out to access the site during these open hours. To access the site at times other than the set open hours, residents can check out a key from the Street Department (108 Railroad Ave). After hours checkout is available for evenings and weekends.
As a reminder, only residents that live within City of Decorah city limits can deposit yard waste material at the Yard Waste Site. However, residents and non-residents are welcome to take wood chips, compost, and/or firewood from the site.
LOADING OF FREE COMPOST AND WOOD CHIPS!!!
Check back for future dates.
City residents and non-residents may pick up material.
Loading of material will be made available by Street Department end loader.
The Yard Waste Site Located on Trout Run Road 1/4 mile south of Hwy 9 will accept waste only from properties within the City limits which are hauled to the site by residents of the City of Decorah.
The Site has three distinct areas for yard waste. They are :
- Grass clippings, leaves, and garden waste;
- Sticks, twigs, and branches;
- All residents are responsible for separating and depositing their yard waste into the appropriate areas.
- All tree branches and brush must be cut into lengths that do not exceed eight feet.
- All commercial brush must be chipped or ground before depositing at compost site.
- Trees over six inches in diameter will not be accepted unless cut in lengths less than twenty inches and placed in the firewood pile.
- During the hours of operation, wood chips, composted material, and firewood will be available at no charge to anyone regardless of where they reside.
- Any other waste, trash, or rubbish not identified above will not be accepted. Included among the prohibited items are: processed lumber, rock, concrete, roots, plastic bags, cardboard boxes or any other containers.