Hours of Operation
Regular Hours...March through November
The Yard Waste Site is currently operating under extended hours and is open 7 days a week during daylight hours.
Closed...December through February
LOADING OF FREE COMPOST AND WOOD CHIPS!!!
Saturday, May 2, 2020 8AM to 12PM
Saturday, May 9, 2020 8AM to 12PM
Open to city residents and non-residents.
Loading of material will be made available by Street Department end loader.
***In an effort to maintain social distancing, residents should not leave their vehicles or approach the loader operator or other vehicles. The piles of wood chips and compost will be labeled with signs. Residents should drive their vehicle to the appropriate pile and wait to be loaded. Any communication with the loader operator should be done through the vehicle window.
The Yard Waste Site Located on Trout Run Road 1/4 mile south of Hwy 9 will accept waste only from properties within the City limits which are hauled to the site by residents of the City of Decorah.
The Site has three distinct areas for yard waste. They are :
- Grass clippings, leaves, and garden waste;
- Sticks, twigs, and branches;
- All residents are responsible for separating and depositing their yard waste into the appropriate areas.
- All tree branches and brush must be cut into lengths that do not exceed eight feet.
- All commercial brush must be chipped or ground before depositing at compost site.
- Trees over six inches in diameter will not be accepted unless cut in lengths less than twenty inches and placed in the firewood pile.
- During the hours of operation, wood chips, composted material, and firewood will be available at no charge to anyone regardless of where they reside.
- Any other waste, trash, or rubbish not identified above will not be accepted. Included among the prohibited items are: processed lumber, rock, concrete, roots, plastic bags, cardboard boxes or any other containers.
- From October 1 - November 15 each year loose leaves only may be left at the City Street Shop, 108 Railroad Ave. for disposal.
- Two giveaway days a year with equipment to assist in loading will be available for anyone that would like free compost, wood chips or firewood.