Duties of property owners regarding right-of-way trees (from the Decorah City Ordinance):
- Obtain a permit from the City Forester before planting a tree on the right-of-way.
- Trim trees to a minimum clearance of 8′ over sidewalks and 14′ over streets.
- Avoid planting trees and shrubs within 25′ of an intersection, 4′ of an alley, or 6′ of a driveway.
- Plant trees at least 40′ apart on right-of-way.
- Maintain the health of trees so they do not constitute a hazard to other trees, vehicles, pedestrians, or property.